[X4U] Searching for file name in Tiger

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Tue Aug 16 11:33:31 PDT 2005

On 08/15/05, Jim Hurley <jhurley at infostations.com> wrote:

> I[s] there any way in Tiger that I can just search for words in the file
>name?
>
> Also I was searching for the location of the file which Eudora stores
> incoming messages. The file name is "in."
>
> It used to be possible to search for exact field name or file name
> beginning with a char string. No more. Spotlight chokes when
> searching for "in."

To reset Finder's Find to search by name contains, rather than its current
defaults, see the thread at
<http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050501162147222&query=spotlight>.

For "problems" with Spotlight see:
<http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@280.eC1caoGw1iJ.0@.68ac180d> and
"The Emperor's New Clothes":
<http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@994.RInEaX4b0UM.2@.68b04558>.
The inability to easily customize Spotlight is Tiger's primary shortfall.

For alternatives, the freeware EasyFind works in OS X 10.4:
<http://www.devon-technologies.com/products/freeware/applications.php>.