[X4U] Off Topic : iBook sale erupts in chaos, stampede!

Todd Crider toddlist at wilkinsonprinting.com
Tue Aug 16 13:04:37 PDT 2005

On 8/16/05 3:09 PM, "Michael Winter"  composed:

> On Aug 16, 2005, at 1:26 PM, Todd Crider wrote:
>
>> This morning Henrico County located in Richmond, VA. sold 1000
>> ibooks for 50
>> dollars each. They were formally used by our school system which is
>> now
>> switching to Dell laptops (what fun that's going to be!)  Anyway, this
>> literally resulted in a stampede with multiple people being hurt.
>> 12,000
>> showed up to purchase one.
>
> Personally, if I were a taxpayer in that district I would be very
> upset. Not just at the switch away from Macs but that they threw
> thousands of dollars away by not charging more for the iBooks.
> Obviously a "stampede" like that proves they could have made a lot
> more from the sale. Sell them for $100 each and you've paid for
> another teacher for a year or a boat load of books.
>
> Such a waste.
>
> -Mike

Yep, I live in Henrico County and yes the County crapped away a lot of money
by selling them for only 50 dollars each.  Don't get me started on the Dell
issue.  Can you say "spyware, adware, virus nightmare!"

When the sale first started there were just a few cops directing people but
by lunchtime the cops had multiplied fast and they were in full riot gear.

Hopefully the County will learn from their mistakes and this wont happen
again when their next batch goes up for sale.