[X4U] 3 network questions

John Farago farago at mail.law.cuny.edu
Fri Dec 2 11:54:00 PST 2005

---------------------
Sent with ChatterEmail
True push email for the Treo Smartphone
www.chatteremail.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Colt Freeman <cfreeman at liberty.edu>
Date: Friday, Dec 2, 2005 2:43 pm
Subject: Re: [X4U] 3 network questions

Ignore my last post, I was using sudo incorrectly I was trying to sudo
without any program after it, when I did sudo pico hostname that worked fine, I'm testing everything right now to see if it all worked...
-Colt

On 12/1/05 11:15 PM, "Bem Ajani Jones-Bey" <ajani at pyen.com> wrote:

> On Dec 1, 2005, at 16:19, Colt Freeman wrote:
 > They are not full domains like a .com or a .edu it's an internal to my
> campus computer, one is the entire address, ie on Windows I go to
> start run
> and type \\one to access it's files. On Mac I need to enter the ip
> address
> in connect to server.

 Windows has its own way of resolving network names that it uses in
 addition to dns. It's called WINS. WINS can work with central
 servers, like with DNS, or it can work via broadcast queries on the
 local lan. You can do these lookups on your mac from the command line
 using a tool from samba called nmblookup. By default, it attempts a
 broadcast query, so you can try 'nmblookup one' and see if you can
 get the ip address. If that doesn't work, you can run 'ipconfig' on a
 windows machine, and see if it's getting WINS servers set via DHCP.
 If it is, you can try looking these up in the WINS server with
 nmblookup. The command would be something like 'nmblookup -U
 ipaddress -R one'. Of course, you can read more about nmblookup with
 'man nmblookup'.

 I do realize that the above does not solve your problem, however, it
 does allow you to look up the ip addresses so that you can connect to
 the windows services if you don't have a windows machine.

 If you want to be able to look up the windows names with your apps,
 you need to somehow get Samba into the name resolution order for your
 Mac. Sadly, while I've done this in the past on Linux, I've never
 seen anything about getting it to work on Mac OS X. (Admittedly, I
 haven't done that much looking) I think you'd have to do something
 funky in NetInfo Manager, but that's about as much as I know.