[X4U] Re: Thoughts on Re-nicing?

Lists lists at tntluoma.com
Tue Dec 6 04:05:27 PST 2005

On Dec 5, 2005, at 9:31 PM, net kat wrote:

> Anybody have any good or bad experiences with renicing in OSX? Are
> the shareware and freeware doodads out there good for this, or can
> it be done in the Terminal?

I wish ActivityMonitor would allow this (the equivalent in WinXP
does) via right click > renice.

I use renice on occasion when doing long term CPU intensive processes
when I'm trying to do other things.

renice +20 PID (will make a process use as little CPU as possible)
renice -20 PID (use as much CPU as possible)
renice 0 PID (normal)

Note the using - requires you to use 'sudo' EVEN if you want to
return a process from 20 to 0 which was originally 0.

TjL