[X4U] More - Parental control software for Mac?

Brenda Mitchell bmitchell at databanque.net
Sat Dec 10 10:27:57 PST 2005

Thank you, Michael, for reading well; my question is indeed for a
client. While the varying opinions are interesting - this method is
the one I have been asked to provide a solution for. Please trust
that this has been thoroughly considered and discussed.

Spector Soft provides "spyware" that will work on OS X, however, the
automatic e-mail reporting features do not work. (I am now registered
with them to test new Mac versions as they are available, mainly
because I wish to follow the development of such nasty stuff in the
happy Mac world.)

The software is fully invisible and the data file is kept at "usr/
local/.spsnaps". Unfortunately, I am not proficient at Unix to be
able to access, use, e-mail, etc. this data file. Situation is having
to actually be at the computer in question to input the keyboard
sequence to bring up the log-in window and subsequent slide-show
style play-back. The app prefs are set for 30 second screen shots
with a 3 minute time-out, file size at 2GB. Once the file size limit
is reached, it will continue to record over the earlier entries.

My client has no intention of reviewing these files on a regular
basis. However, I wish to be able to provide a method of "filing"
them for an unspecified retention period.

Netopia has wi-fi hardware that appears to do something interesting
with no computer installed software. I will speak to their tech folks
Monday.

This is the information/assistance I hope to find from this list of
very knowledgeable folks.

Thanks much,
Brenda