[X4U] Cannot Un-Mount Partition

David Ledger dledger at ivdcs.demon.co.uk
Sun Dec 11 01:59:01 PST 2005

>From: revDAVE <coolcat at hosting4days.com>
>  Currently I am unable to un-mount a partition ( drag to the trash) ... The
>error says that is currently in use...
>Here is the history of what I did. ..
>
>-  partition 1 = Panther 10.3.9
>-  I used carbon copy cloner to duplicate this on partition number 2
>-  then I upgraded to Tiger 10.4.3 on partition 1
>- ( I did all necessary repair permissions - repair drives etc. before and
>after -  on both systems)
>-  basically everything is working fine on both systems - however - when I
>am in Tiger - I am  unable to un-mount partition 2 ( older Panther) -  and
>it says drive is in use...
>-  this leads me to believe that either there are aliases - or symbolic
>links or something else that are pointing from Tiger to Panther somehow...
>BTW:  no programs are active at the time
>-  for various reasons I need to Un-Mount Partition 2 from time to time -
>while I am in Tiger...
>
>* Question: how can I fix this? I certainly do not want to have to reinstall
>entire operating systems there are working well (except for this problem)
>...  Is there some utility that can help repair this?

In terminal do:=

sudo lsof | grep /Volumes
     (password when prompted)

This will list all the open files on the non-root partitions that are
mounted under /Volumes.

If it shows just a few then they will indicate where to look. If
there's lots and you have partitions other than these two, try

sudo lsof | grep "/Volumes/<thePantherPartition>"

with <thePantherPartition> replaced by whatever it's called, and
you'll only see those on that partition. You only need the quotes if
the name of the Panther partition has spaces or similar. If there's
still lots, it's just a long slog through them.

For each one, or each group that seem to go together, decide if you
should be running that thing from your Panther partition. If not
check the equivalent place on the Tiger partition. If the object
isn't there, copying it across may help, but if it's being accesses
via an alias you need to find the alias. As aliases aren't a Unix
thing I'm not familiar with how to do that, but someone else here
might. Applescript perhaps? Anyone?

David

--
David Ledger - Freelance Unix Sysadmin in the UK.
Chair of HPUX SysAdmin SIG of hpUG technical user group (www.hpug.org.uk)
david.ledger at ivdcs.co.uk
www.ivdcs.co.uk