[X4U] VNC client that can resize

Simon Forster simon-lists at ldml.com
Wed Dec 14 02:18:32 PST 2005

On 14 Dec 2005, at 09:30, Stroller wrote:

> On Dec 13, 2005, at 8:51 pm, Eddie Hargreaves wrote:
>>
>> That's what I thought originally. However, I recently installed a
>> VNC client
>> from RealVNC on my Windows machine at work and I was able to
>> connect to my
>> iMac using the "Scale to window size" option checked. It shrunk
>> the iMac's
>> screen image to fit on my 1024x768 PC monitor. So my question
>> remains: Is
>> there an OS X program that can do what the Windows program can?
>
> I wouldn't be at all surprised if Apple's Remote Desktop can do
> this. But it's neither Free, free, nor cheap. If you're in the
> market for it anyway, let me know & I'll install VNC on the LAN
> here & test.

ARD does do this - although you can only scale down (no great
surprise there). More amusingly, you can select multiple remotes and
observe all of them at the same time. I've just tried with 5
computers but when I was doing some consultancy work at the Institute
of Cancer Research, one of the techs viewed about 20+ computers all
at the same time. Quite neat.

FWIW, I find ARD invaluable as I can assist with any Mac on the
internet as the server is installed on every Mac running OS X.
Indeed, pretty much all my server admin work is done remotely using
SSH and/or ARD.

Simon Forster