[X4U] Canon PIXMA MP780 settings for Mac and AE problems

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Sun Dec 18 06:01:49 PST 2005

On Dec 18, 2005, at 8:51 am, Mitchell Senft wrote:

> Set up: Mac G5 with OS 10.4.3 attached to AirPort Express. Cannot,
> though, figure out how to adjust the settings for print quality: B+W
> or color, fast, slow or whatever. Think I found them but am not sure
> I've found them all.

Hi there,

I have a Pixima 3000, which is one of the models without a built-in
scammer.

Some of the options are available from the Print dialogue
<http://mac.stroller.uk.eu.org/PiximaPreferences.gif> but others are
available only by going into Applications > Utilities > Printer Setup
then double-clicking on the Pixima in the list of printers. At the top
of the window that opens is a button for Utility - double click this &
then select the printer again in the next window
<http://mac.stroller.uk.eu.org/PiximaMaintenance1.gif>. Click on
Maintenance for further options
<http://mac.stroller.uk.eu.org/PiximaMaintenance2.gif>; these seem to
be the options that you wouldn't normally change during use - for
instance mine is permanently in "quiet" mode as it doesn't seem much
slower, but it's much quieter & the desk wobbles wildly from side to
side in loud mode!

> Worse, it refuses to print when connected to the AE box. Note that the
> driver software was downloaded about a week ago to ensure it was the
> latest. OTOH, does print if connected to the G5, but need it to work
> off the AE network.

How's the Pixima connected to the Airport Distress? If you're using the
USB cable then I fear you may be disappointed; I tired mine using a
similar setup, a Netgear USB print server and had no joy at all.

I think that if you want to print wirelessly you should've probably
bought a printer that has a proper network connection built-in.

I think Canon make a printer-only Pixima - the 5000?? - that has an
Airport Extreme-style wireless interface built in, but I can't find any
of their mutli-functionals that are networkable. This is a bit
disappointing, as I've been extremely happy with my Pixima and have
also recently been given (via the excellent Freecycle network) a
separate Canon scanner which works well; I had thought to replace them
with a multifunctional, but in the UK the models that do direct-on-CD
printing are a not-so-cheap £200.

Another range to look at is Brother's. The online electricals store of
the UK grocer Tesco last week had the Brother DCP-310CN on close-out -
the new model is the 315, I think - and my mother asked me to take a
look at the specs & Macintosh-compatibility for her. It has a standard
Ethernet connector so can join your network with a cable to your
wireless router (or Airport Distress?) and comments from Mac users (on
Amazon, I think) were positive; Brother's webpage provides drivers for
10.3 but more for 10.4 - it look like the scanner functions may be
better supported. The 310 was a bargain £80 including free delivery so
I told my Ma they were out of stock & bought her one for Christmas.
Considering the network connectivity & that the Brother has 4 separate
inktanks I consider that EXCELLENT value; I guess they may do wireless
models or you could connect to your wireless LAN using a bridge.

> And then when connected to the G5, I periodically lose the wireless
> internet connection. Rather, the latest is that the MP is connected
> directly to the G5 and the G5 periodically loses the signal from the
> AE box -- falls off the network. Please advise.

The G5 periodically looses wireless connectivity? I don't see that
connection of the printer via USB can make any difference there. Usual
advice applies - move the base-station nearer or try a different one. I
think the G5 will have an internal aerial, so you're stuffed on
changing that.

Stroller.