[X4U] In case of emergency...

John Kiss john.kiss at comcast.net
Mon Dec 19 15:28:09 PST 2005

On Dec 19, 2005, at 3:36 PM, Jesse Leo wrote:

> A friend told me that in the case of anything with sugar, such as
> cola or
> coffee, just forget it. The laptop is toast, end of story. Your
> thoughts?

I don't know about a laptop but my brother spilled coke onto his
keyboard and started seeing weird behavior. It seems the fluid was
shorting things out inside the casing. We disconnected the keyboard
and washed it out thoroughly with tap water and let it sit overnight
to dry. Plugged it in the next day and everything was fine.

On a laptop, the first thing I would do is to take out the battery.
After that? It would depend on how much it would cost to get
repaired. If it was my machine I may open it up and give it the clean
water treatment, sparingly, using cotton swabs and see what happens.