[X4U] Virtual PC question

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Tue Dec 20 10:32:56 PST 2005

On Dec 20, 2005, at 4:06 pm, mac2 wrote:

> It was/is my understanding that the first intel based laptops to be
> released would be iBooks, not powerbooks.  Have I understood this
> incorrectly???

As Messrs Self & Hargreaves have pointed out, it's all speculation at
the moment.

I, too, have heard the rumour that iBooks will be first, but I've also
heard a counter-argument that Intel's processors will be able to kick
the pants off a G4; would Apple release an iBook that was more powerful
than it's current Powerbooks?

The initial suggestion was that the Intel processors would be used on
the low-end models first, but I wonder if this wasn't somewhat
pandering to the entrenched "megahertz myth" belief that Apple have
been fostering for so long. I guess a lot of us thought that Celerons
would be fine for the low-end users and that Powerbooks & Powermacs
would only be sporting Intels at the end of next year, perhaps some
surprise dual-Xeons with hyperthreading which would give unexpected
performance leaps. Now that we've had a chance to get used to the idea,
there's little doubt that Intels will be a good move right across the
range - I believe ArcsTechnical did some performance tests with OS X
running on an Intel which were quite impressive.

Anyway... it's all speculation, but isn't there usually some MacWorld
or similar event in January at which new models are often unveiled?

Stroller.