[X4U] Re: Wireless and ethernet

Lists lists at tntluoma.com
Tue Dec 20 11:14:34 PST 2005

On Dec 20, 2005, at 5:25 AM, Michel Treisman wrote:

> Just wondering.  I have a Netgear adsl modem-router.  I can connect
> to it with an ethernet cable or wirelessly. If my laptop is on the
> table next to the router, I can do both.  Is there any advantage
> (or disadvantage) to using Airport+ethernet cable, rather than just
> ethernet cable?
> Wireless communications are more noisy than  cable, so when I  add
> Airport to the ethernet, am I lowering overall fidelity?
> (Does that make sense?)

If you have one computer on the network, it really doesn't matter
whether you use wired or wireless (assuming wireless is setup
securely).  The speed of the wireless is still going to be faster
than your DSL connection.

If you have two or more computers on the network and will share files
between them, plugging them in will work a lot better than wireless.
I just transferred several GB from my PB to a desktop and plugged
both in to do the transfers.

Actually I have 2 laptops and one desktop at home, and when I am at
my desk (near router) I plug them all in.  The only reason I have
Airport turned on is so I can manually dialup from the Airport
Extreme modem (which can't be done from MSWindows :-/

TjL