[X4U] Superdrive replacement for iMac

John Kiss john.kiss at comcast.net
Tue Dec 20 13:51:33 PST 2005

On Dec 20, 2005, at 2:17 PM, Paul Biddlecomb wrote:

> A friend of mine has been having trouble burning DVD's lately with
> her iMac (swivel-arm).  The current drive is a PIONEER DVD-RW
> DVR-104.  After creating the DVD in iDVD, she tries to burn it and
> the disk is unreadable.  If she burns it to a disc image, I can
> burn it on my mac and it works perfectly.  It looks to me like a
> burner issue.  What models world work in the iMac with iDVD?  And
> how difficult is it to swap out?
>
> 17" swivel-arm iMac 1Ghz G4OS X 10.4.2iLife 05
>
> Any help would be appreciated..

Before your friend replaces her drive she may want to give it a lens
cleaning first. There are products out there that do just that. I had
the same problem on my machine but I decided to take the drive out
and physically clean the lens with an alcohol soaked cotton swab. Has
been working perfectly since.