[X4U] en0 loses connectivity after reboot?

Nick Scalise nickscalise at mac.com
Tue Feb 22 21:29:56 PST 2005

On Feb 22, 2005, at 10:34 PM, Jeff Winchester wrote:

> I've recently started to have a couple of rather odd problems,
> primarily with my wired ethernet (en0) connection.
>
> The primary problem occurs after a reboot. Once I have logged back in,
> I basically end up with an "amber dot" in network preferences for my
> wired ethernet. It's connected to the LAN but hasn't gotten an IP and
> can't get anywhere. The only way I can restore connectivity is to go
> to the network port configurations, remove the built-in ethernet,
> apply, then re-add and apply again.

My G5 would lose ethernet on reboot and wake, lots of folks on Apple's
discussion boards did too.

I solved my issue by setting the Ethernet port from Auto to Manual and
chose 100baseTX and full duplex, as I am connecting to a 100MBit
switch. These settings are in the Ethernet tab of Network Preference
pane.

You may have to experiment a little with your settings, but do try the
100baseTX/Full duplex first, as it is the fastest.

Good luck,
--
Nick Scalise
nickscalise at mac.com