[X4U] Video conferencing on a PC

Michael Elliott michaelelliott at mac.com
Sun Feb 27 08:38:19 PST 2005

I've had very poor luck getting AIM to work with iChat.  Probably
something to do with the fact that some Windows machines have 2-3
firewalls running at the same time (XP's, and then 1 or 2 spyware or
virus blockers).

I have yet to be able to do iChat--->AIM5.5XP with my brother in law in
the Netherlands or a friend in New Zealand, although I have been able
to get it to randomly work with some other friends in the US and
internationally.  However, when it does work, I'm always disappointed
with the video quality compared with my iSight + iBook, and they tell
me that the video that they see of me, while high-quality, is only a
tiny window that they can't resize (I'd be surprised if that's the
case, but probably the setting to enlarge the window is small).

Did I hear a rumor that MS was going to update MSN Messenger to include
video?

What about other cross-platform chat solutions, like ISPQ  etc.?

Michael