[X4U] wireless printer server?

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Wed Jul 6 16:30:35 PDT 2005

On Jul 6, 2005, at 4:00 pm, Robert A. (Bob) Hall wrote:

> I would like to receive recommendations for a wireless printer server,
> please.
> ---For use with OS 10.4.9 (and Tiger in the future) and easy to set up.

Any chance you could clarify your needs?
Is this for connection to a printer with a parallel port or a USB port?

My experience of stand-alone "print servers" is that I tried a Netgear
USB print server to connect my Canon Pixima to a wired ethernet network
& had no joy at all, even with a PC and despite the claims that "it's
compatible with most USB port printers" and "compatible with any brand
of home networking equipment". Although I was able to pass the print
server on without a loss, I'd be pretty cautious about purchasing in
this area in the future.

IMHO what you really want here is a printer with either built-in
wireless networking <http://makeashorterlink.com/?H5163136B>
<http://makeashorterlink.com/?U1062536B> or one built-in wired ethernet
and a separate wireless bridge
<http://www.netgear.com/products/details/ME101.php>. If the iP4000R had
been available when I needed remote inkjet printing then it would have
certainly been the one chosen; FWIW this printer is sold in the US
without the direct CD-printing feature (it is not merely disabled, and
is impossible to retro-fit), but there are reasonably-priced suppliers
who import UK models.

My negative experience is that just plugging a printer server into your
current inkjet is not guaranteed to work - you should certainly
research carefully others' experiences with different models.

Incidentally, I've recently discovered figures indicating that if
you're currently printing black & white on an inkjet, then a £50
second-hand laser-printer <http://makeashorterlink.com/?O6763536B> will
pay for itself in only 200 sheets! IMHO if you have the space for a
second printer then you really shouldn't be doing any black & white
printing at all on an inkjet.

Stroller.