[X4U] OT - Unscientific Speed Test - PC-Mac-FileMaker

Kuestner, Bjoern Bjoern.Kuestner at drkw.com
Thu Jul 14 23:30:42 PDT 2005

Your task runs on just a single CPU, so for this test consider your dual-G4
basically a single G4. There's only little profit from the extra CPU.

I'm not so much surprised that the G4 falls behind a Pentium 4 and a Pentium
M. What do you expect? The Pentium 4 and M are fast and very modern chips
(even if the Pentium 4 is not exactly elegant in design). The PC world isn't
sleeping. And exactly how old is your dual G4 compared to the Centrino and
Pentium 4 3.2? One year difference means a lot in the PC world. Why do you
think people hold back from buying G4 laptops and sigh that for computing
power alone, if that is the primary issue, they have to look into the PC
world.

The PCs also often have better interfaces to RAM than the Macs. So unless
your test runs in cache, which I doubt, that makes a big difference, too.

The PCs most likely have better graphics cards, too. For many Macs OS X's
GUI still puts a significant load on the GUI. I cannot tell if your test
involved significant GUI action.

I'm actually surprised to see the dual G4 fair so well: It's less than a
factor of 2 in both cases. That's not really that much.

Feed it with something that uses Altivec intensively and the two CPUs and it
will leave even the Centrino behind. So, different tasks run better on
different hardware. It's always been that way.

And I'm surprised to see a 3.2 Pentium 4 fall behind a 1.7 Pentium M. I
don't think that is representative for office tasks like your test. But then
it's only a measurement difference anyway. Not really one that is noticeable
for the user. And e. g. a Word macro might run faster on the 4 than on the
M.

Bjorn

Listmom is trying to clean out his closets! Vintage Mac and random stuff:

http://www.drkw.com/disc/email/ or contact the sender. 3167