[X4U] Updating to 10.4.2: yes or no? Mixed feeelings

Rod Duncan roduncan at telus.net
Sun Jul 31 22:07:12 PDT 2005

>On Jul 31, 2005, at 2:36 PM, Germain M. wrote:
>>I do not have Airport. Are there people on the list that had
>>updated and are you satisfied with 10.4.2. What hints can fou fee
>>me with? I guess I need just a little kick in the... to cure me
>>from my hesitation.

I also hesitated to upgrade to 10.4 as 10.3.9 was working so well.
However, a friend purchased a new iBook and it came with 10.4.1
installed and we decided to purchase iSight camera's to do remote
video across the country. However to use the new iChat v.3 with
updated video you need to run Tiger. So... I bit the bullet upgraded
her computer to 10.4.2 (using the combo updater since I had already
downloaded it to use on my own Tiger install and upgrade. (I usually
wait for the second incarnation of a new operating system before
leaping into the wray.)

I have never had a problem with upgrading (finger's crossed) and
didn't this time. However, I ALWAYS follow a number of routine
maintenance procedures before and after updating to a new system and
subsequent updates. This includes first repairing disk permissions. I
run Cocktail to do this. Apple's Disk Utility will also repair
permissions. I will then boot off an install System DVD and run Disk
Utility to repair disk.  I then run DiskWarrior (now v. 3.03) off a
boot CD and replace the directory if it needs any repair. Now, I do a
full backup to an external firewire drive. When I boot off the new
Tiger install DVD I again run Disk Utility (it is under the menu of
the install DVD and repair disk and run repair permissions, again. It
always finds a list of permissions to repair. After all of this... I
am ready to Archive and Install the new operating system.

BTW, I NEVER run anything Norton. I have on occasion used Drive 10
but that has been rare and not recent. TechTool Pro will identify
problems with hardware. But DiskWarrior rules!

After installing and upgrading using the Combo updater to 10.4.2, I
again repair disk permissions off the system install DVD.

After all of that, no problems. The new iChat version 3.0.1 and the
iSight camera's work amazing with a definitely improved video and
audio. I also have the original Graphite Airport (still going strong)
and updated it to the latest software v. 4.2. Again, no problems.

This upgrade was on my comple of month's new 1.67 AI Powerbook
w/Superdrive. I still haven't upgraded the desktop Cube (upgraded
with a Sonnet 1.2 GHz G4, upgraded video card, HD etc.) to 10.4.2. It
is working so well with 10.3.9. It isn't a big deal and I will
probably get around to it - time permitting. Speed improvement?
Marginal. I wouldn't consider Tiger a necessary upgrade except if you
are going to being using video iChat. Only reason I did it.

Didn't mean to blather... just got the bit in my teeth.

As always - your mileage may vary.
Rod