[X4U] airport wifi security questions

Kevin Mantooth kevtooth at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 18:15:44 PDT 2005

Is there any utility or method to display which computers are
currently on your network?  Ideally, I'd like to have some sort of
notification if a computer other than my expected 3 hacked into my
wireless network.

Also, in the interest of keeping things simple for a flaky old
Windows laptop and for the sake of bandwidth, I never turned on
encryption or security on my airport.  Instead, I added a list of MAC
addresses for my known computers to the Access Control list.  So my
network appears open, but another laptop cannot hop on.

How secure is this?
Can someone still snoop without actually connecting?

I was going to update my Windows laptop drivers and add security, but
I was curious how necessary this is.   Any advice is welcome!

Kevin