[X4U] Apple to move to Intel

Simon Forster simon-lists at ldml.com
Mon Jun 6 03:09:27 PDT 2005

Obviously this is all rumour and speculation - but there could be a
some (business) logic to moving to Intel's Itanium. A quick read of
articles on the web shows that Intel is struggling somewhat with this
chip as Itanium has been pushed into niche server markets - pretty
much all the tier one manufacturers have pulled support for this chip
(I've closed the browser now so you'll have to do your own literature
research!). Assuming that Intel is committed to the chip, a high
profile, volume <cough /> manufacturer is needed to help revive this
chip's sales. Apple could be such a manufacturer. With some strong
reassurances as to Itanium's future and some attractive financial
inducements, maybe Apple could be persuaded to play ball.

And let's not forget the ego factor. Relationships between Microsoft
and Intel have been strained for a little while now - witness MS not
supporting Itanium too well <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11/11/
intel_ms_itanium_kick/> and the move to IBM's CPU for the Xbox. On
the flip side, Apple's relationship with IBM is reported to be
strained and I'd suggest that Apple traditionally has been hurt by
not having "Intel inside". So, Intel and Apple get to give their
respective protagonists black eyes.

Of course this really screws over the users and software developers.
Yet another architecture change. Yet more expense for everyone.
Unless Itanium can be persuaded to run Power PC code at near 100%
efficiency.

Realistically, I think the whole Apple / Intel rumour is a load of
bunk. Apple may be looking at Intel processors for some uses (indeed,
they are used in Airport base stations and the like) but they'll not
replace the Power PC in Apple's main PCs.

But it's fun to speculate :-)

Simon Forster