[X4U] Couple questions on Apples move to Intel

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Tue Jun 7 11:19:08 PDT 2005

> Good point... perhaps making it clear that using OSX on anything
> other than an Apple-built machine is considered "off-label" use, and
> "use at your own risk", without doing anything particular to thwart
> such use would be enough. I suspect it might be enough to keep those
> who are not well-equipped to deal with whatever issues could arise
> with such use away from the el-cheapo generic PC boxes - while
> leaving those who like to live on the bleeding-edge free to experiment.

While this is good in theory, you'd have techies putting together cheap
beige boxes for idiots that wouldn't otherwise be able to do it.  Then when
the box has problems, Apple would get the blame.

I can see both sides of the arguement.  As someone that is used to building
thier own systems (even if they're a Minicomputer that takes up a couple 19"
racks), I'd like to be able to build my own Mac.  At the same time I see
benefints of custom hardware, especially if it's anything like my Dual 2Ghz
G5!

		Zane