[X4U] Apple's move to Intel chips

Eddie Hargreaves meged at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 27 21:11:12 PDT 2005

On 6/7/05 12:23 PM, Peter Krug <pkrug at mac.com> wrote:

> On Jun 7, 2005, at 2:16 PM, Eddie Hargreaves wrote:
>
>>  Also, who expects to run
>> the latest software on a 5-year-old Mac?
>
> We actually have many users (4) very happy running Tiger on Pismo
> Powerbooks.  (There is one person in our group stubbornly running it
> on a KeyLime iBook SE - I don't think he is very happy).

Although you can run Tiger on those machines, you're missing a number of the
features (DVD Favories, RSS & iTunes screensavers, Dashboard visual effects,
etc.) Within a few months after purchasing my iBook, I found out it didn't
meet the specs for Quartz Extreme.

Also, the OS is one thing, the latest software applications are quite
another. I can't even run Adobe CS 2 on my three-year-old iBook because it's
not a G4. I'm not complaining, because I don't expect to run brand-new
software on a 3->5-year-old machine. But anybody that doesn't want to buy a
consumer-level Mac right now because they're worried it'll be outdated in 5
years, is expecting way too much.

Eddie Hargreaves