[X4U] Re: X4U Digest, Vol 7, Issue 14

Sean Collins sean at hogheaven.com
Wed Mar 9 11:46:26 PST 2005

>From: Richard Gilmore <rgilmor at uwo.ca>
>
>But they only work if you have serial port? I have a very old Laserwriter I
>haven't hooked it up yet I was going to run it from an old OS9 machine. Also
>can you still buy toner cartridges for them and are there serial to USB
>adapters that would work?

Richard:

Sorry, I'll have to amend my prior statement that "Laserwriters" are
supported.  Turn out only SOME laserwriters are supported.

1) apparently only poscript Laserwriters ( ie, none of the Quicktime
based Laserwriters)

2) oldest one that I recognize is the Laserwriter II.  No Laserwriter
1 is listed.  That's not to say that it WON'T work, but there's no
specific PPD file for it, so you can't be certain.

In X 10.3.x, go to
System>Library>Printers>PPDs>Contents>Resources>en.lproj, that
contains all the Laserwriter PPDs, and you can see if your printer is
listed there.

You would need  either a ethernet-to-localtalk or USB-to-serial
adapter to hook it up, as Randy mentioned.