[X4U] Ethernet hub recommendations?

Stan Gould groups at stangould.com
Sun Mar 13 09:53:46 PST 2005

Anne-Marie

I would look into Netgear. I too, had an XSense M120, that
Iupdated to the equivalent of an M130 via firmware upgrade
several years ago. However, it became unreliable. I saw a number
of recommendations for Netgear on a list (maybe this one, I
don'tremember...).

I bought the Netgear WGT624 Wireless Firewall Router (sold at
Compuserve and other retail outlets). Its wireless, but also has
four ports for a wired network. (If you go wired only, you can
disable the wireless).

It works great. I didn't have to complete the "auto wizard"setup
-- I received a prompt saying that the router detected a
connection and simply started working.

Perhaps you could scan their website to see if they have a
similar 6 or 8 port model.

Stan

Anne-Marie Concepcion wrote:
I have an old XSense M120 ... 4 slow Ethernet ports, one cross
port and one DSL uplink port (hooked up to the DSL modem), with
NAT and a usable browser admin panel. It's expanded with another
XSense hub/router/switcher thingie (never sure of the
distinction) that has 8 additional slow Ethernet ports.

MacSense hasn't updated firmware for it since 2001 and I'm
prettysure the product is abandoned. The apparent replacement is
an M130 which doesn't look/function much different, as far as I
can tell. Their focus is elsewhere these days.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a fast, Mac OS X-savvy,
recent vintage Ethernet DSL router/hub/switcher thingie with NAT
and 6 or 8 ports?  Hooked up to my Ethernet hub are:
  - Color laser printer
  - Airport Express
  - 1 Lombard PowerBook (no Airport)
  - 3 G4 PowerBooks with various Airport  cards (some fast some
slow)
  - 1 Dell 4500 S (no wireless card)

I like having the flexibility with the powerbooks to use
Ethernet(there's ports all over the house with a patch panel in
the basement) vs. Airport if Airport is acting flaky or can't
geta signal. But it's okay with me if a couple of the PBs are
Airport-only as they're used only off and on.... also I'm
planning on adding a small file server to the network (subject
for a future post, heh) which I assume should be Ethernet.

Thanks
  AM