[X4U] cause of kernel panics?

Doug Freeman dougfree at mac.com
Sun Mar 13 13:11:38 PST 2005

On Mar 13, 2005, at 11:45 AM, J Flenner wrote:

> At least, I think they're kernel panics: a box that orders me in 4
> languages
> to shutdown and grays my screen over wherever I was when it happened.

That's a kernel panic. 2 things to try:

Try unplugging all USB peripherals--printers, scanners, etc. (except
keyboard and mouse)--reboot, and see if the problem goes away.

If you have any non-Apple RAM installed, try removing it and see if the
problem goes away; out-of-spec RAM can cause panics.

(See <http://www.macattorney.com/tutorial.html> for lots of useful
Jaguar information; Randy has a page for Panther as well.)

HTH
Doug