[X4U] Re: Defragmentation, was Cause of kernel panics

Keith Whaley keith_w at dslextreme.com
Sat Mar 19 05:07:50 PST 2005

Your analysis confuses me, Don.

Fragmentation of files is a fact, not a figment of someone's imagination.
Another fact is, the smaller the drive, the greater the possibility that
fragmentation will become problematic, simply because the storeroom gets
cluttered up more easily.
Buying a warehouse to provide more storage space only postpones the
inevitable, doesn't it. Eventually, if nothing changes in  how you
operate your particular setup, the larger storage space will eventually
become - comparatively speaking - as filled up with a jumble of
fragments of files and such as the smaller drive was. Just takes longer. No?

In other words, getting a bigger trash can is one approach, the other is
to not generate as much trash.
Or, a third approach might be to separate the trash into incinerator,
green waste, recyclable and junk, and deal with them appropriately, as
many cities do today...
It seems OSX does a similar thing, in it's own way, as it sort of does
it's own brand/style of defragging, sweeping up and rearranging and
doesn't need outside help, if I understood what I read about that.

Anyhow, if you're really a power user, seems to me a larger hard drive
is just postponing the inevitable. It is not a cure.
The problem might go away for a long time, but it's only a postponement.
What happens when the new drive is finally as unusable as the smaller
drive? Start over?

Just my humble thoughts on defragmentation.
MY hard drives _always_ used to run more crisply (yes, a non-computer
term, I know...) after defragging.
Of course, that was System 8 and prior.

keith whaley