[X4U] OT: accessing old floppy disks

Jim Freeman jpfreeman at mac.com
Wed Mar 23 14:11:59 PST 2005

Thanks for all the helpfull answers. Apparently he has tried an
external floppy drive, which will take a 1.4 meg floppy, but not an
800k floppy. His currenlty computer is apparently a modern Mac running
some version of OS X. I also own a VST external floppy drive, which I
never use. I just checked it and it works with the 1.4 meg floppies I
found in the bottom of a box somewhere. I don't have any 800k floppies
to test, but from what I'm hearing it sounds like it won't work. Should
I even bother sending my floppy drive to work with my wife tomorow?

As you can see this is a bit third hand, so I don't have all the
information. It's the guy's PhD dissertation, presumably in some
ancient word processing format. If he's like most people it will be an
older version of Word.

I will pass on the info that any Mac with a built in floppy drive will
read it. Maybe he can find someone with one. I'm also inquiring if
anyone at my work has one. They put an old beige G3 in my office for a
while. It had both a floppy and a zip drive. If that thing is still
around I can copy the data to a 1.4 meg floppy or a zip disk, and get
it onto a modern Mac that way. Or maybe make a network connection
somehow.

Jim