[X4U] 2 iTunes Questions

Allan Hise allan at hise.org
Sun May 1 05:44:09 PDT 2005

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005, revDAVE wrote:

>  iTunes 4.7.1
>
> I have an iTunes related question ... It seems as though when I add one of
> my personal -  homemade 44.1 AIFF song mixes to iTunes -  then I am able to
> add in all the related id3 type tag info to the AIFF ...
>
> Q:   An mp3 has specific id3 tag info built into it ... However - AFIK - an
> AIFF doesn't have anything like this... So - where and how does it store
> this data? What about .wav files - do they also store this information?

iTunes has an internal database that stores the info. I am pretty suire if
you took that AIFF file to a different computer, it would not see the info
you added. iTunes has several bits of info that don't correspond to ID3
tags for MP3 files ((play count, for example). This data is stored in the
iTunes library file.