[X4U] importing audio CD as AIFF

Alex lists at lexial.ca
Sun May 1 17:50:13 PDT 2005

On Apr 30, 2005, at 11:28, DZ-Jay wrote:

> I'm certainly not an expert on this matter

I doubt any of us is; be that as it may, you are entirely wrong, and
Kirk is right.

The problems of DAE (digital audio extraction) lie in the audio CD
specification. Succinctly, data on an audio CD is not organized in
files; the medium is not random-access and the synch data is less
accurate than a desktop OS requires; and error correction is not robust
enough. These limitations were not intended as some kind of copy
protection, but were a reflection of its intended purpose and the time
when the specification was created. (Remember the days when some were
arguing that nobody would want more than 640k RAM in their PC?)

By contrast, these limitations do not apply to the CD-ROM format.
That's why we don't have arguments about extracting data from CD-ROMs,
and, incidentally, that's why you can fit 740MB worth of data on a
standard CD if you write it as an audio CD, but only 650MB worth of
data if you write it as a CD-ROM.

<0x0192>