[X4U] Thoughts on Spotlight?

T. Patrick Henebry tphenebry at fuse.net
Sun May 1 17:54:03 PDT 2005

--
T. Patrick Henebry
tphenebry at fuse.net

On May 1, 2005, at 5:58 PM, John Baltutis wrote:

>>> Let me know how to add the /System folder to the search criteria.
>>> AFAIK, you can't.
>>>

>> Have you tried:
>> sudo mdimport -f /System/Library/
>> Seems to work for me. What can't it find after indexing that
>> directory?
>>

> I'll try that trick after getting and installing the GM; hopefully,
> tomorrow. However, that option should be available in Spotlight and
> users
> shouldn't be forced into using the CLI. That's the same nonsensical
> "engineering" decision that removed the "disable journaling" tool
> from Disk
> Utility and forces people to use the CLI diskutil tool. For Apple
> to offer
> a UI application, which uses the CLI tools, and then cripple it is
> IMHO
> unconscionable behavior on their part.

Sorry, I disagree. Some things *shouldn't* be available via a GUI.
Far too much potential for damage by somebody who does not know what
they're doing. Anybody who's ever done technical support will tell
you that. Those with enough technical savvy to know when they need
things not available in the GUI will also know how to find the
appropriate CLI commands (and one would hope take appropriate
precautions beforehand).

There are very few reasons to turn off Journaling, go into the System
folder, or do other things only available from the CLI. Those that
really need to can use the CLI. Apple did the fright thing; in my
opinion.

--
T. Patrick Henebry
tphenebry at fuse.net