[X4U] Dashboard ripple effect?

Pete Zimowski petez at mac.com
Sun May 1 20:04:59 PDT 2005

>> What are the hardware requirements for the dashboard ripple
>> effect? On my machine, powerbook 1.67 ghz I see this effect but on
>> my 800 dvi I don't.
> FWIW, I don't see it in my iBook 1.2 GHz :-(

This is normal.  I can see the ripple effect on my 1.5 AlBook with
the 128MB ATI card, but my Dual-800 Quicksilver desktop won't produce
the ripples.  Sure enough, when I look at the System Profiler on the
Quicksilver, it says that Core Image is not supported.  I believe
that's the key.

 From Apple's website, here are graphics processors that support Core
Image:

ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (on my PowerBook)
ATI Radeon 9600 XT, 9800 XT, X800 XT
nVidia GeForce FX Go 5200
nVidia GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL, 6800 GT DDL

Guess it's time for a graphics processor upgrade on the Quicksilver.

Hope this helps,

Pete