[X4U] Re: Taking Control books not updating - Are yours?

Jeff Porten civitan at jeffporten.com
Tue May 3 17:49:26 PDT 2005

On Apr 30, 2005, at 10:29 AM, Robert Ameeti wrote:

> I've purchased the 4 book set yet I am not getting any update from
> the prerelease empty shell pdf. When I click on the 'Check for
> Updates' button, all I get is a quick link to the second page where
> it encourages me to subscribe for email notification of updates and
> new books. I've subscribed multiple times but all I get is
> notification that the books are 'shipping'. Have others gotten the
> updates to work?

I asked the Powers That Be at TidBITS what was going on with Robert's
downloads, and it looks like the issue is that Acrobat Pro will
bollix up the auto-updating in the PDFs that Take Control ships.  For
most of their downloads, there are clear instructions on how to avoid
this, but the special "pre-release" Tiger PDFs that were waiting for
content were set up differently.

The long and the short of it is, if your Take Control PDF stops
working, double-check your Acrobat settings and grab a new copy from
the publishers, then you'll be good to go.

Best,
Jeff