[X4U] B&W G3 to Mac mini upgrade problem

Joe Sporleder joe at wacondatrader.com
Thu May 5 09:07:37 PDT 2005

Yesterday I installed a Mac mini in a remote single person newspaper
office as a replacement for an aging B&W G3. The Mac mini came with
MacOS X 10.3.7 and the B&W G3 was running a slightly older version of
Panther. I used Software update and brought both machines up to 10.3.9.
I repaired disk permissions on both drives, then used Carbon Copy
Cloner running on the B&W G3's internal drive, to clone its internal
drive to an external Lacie FireWire drive. I then reversed the process
and cloned the FireWire data to the Mac mini's internal drive. I've
tried using both Carbon Copy Cloner & Disk Utility to do the cloning,
but whatever I do, I can't get the Mac mini to fully start up from the
internal drive. It hangs up during the startup process at either the
network services or at the windows login services (at the tail end of
the MacOS X startup progress bar).  However, the Mac mini runs
perfectly fine started up from the external FireWire drive that I'm
trying to copy from . . . in fact, all of our normal production
applications, font manager, email, iCal, iChat and other preferences
are there, running perfectly just as they were on the old B&W G3. The
B&W G3 of course, is unable to boot from FireWire, could that have
something to do with it? If worse comes to worse, I can reinstall all
of my production apps from scratch, but if anyone has a simpler idea to
try first, I would be interested in hearing it.

Joe