[X4U] Spotlight and Entourage

Eddie Hargreaves meged at earthlink.net
Thu May 5 16:34:19 PDT 2005

On 5/5/05 4:17 PM, Andy Hannen <andy.hannen at virgin.net> wrote:

> Spotlight will search messages from mail.app but how do I get it to search
> messages from Entourage?

>From http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/01/11/microsoft/index.php
January 11, 2005

Erickson said that Microsoft has been working closely with Apple to ensure
compatibility with technologies that will be released in the next version of
the operating system, expected sometime in the first half of 2005. Of
particular note is Spotlight, Apple's advanced search technology.

Spotlight will index and search Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents, but
unfortunately it will not work with Microsoft's email and information
manager, Entourage.

"It won't index Entourage and that's simply due to the way that Spotlight
was made versus Entourage," said Erickson. "Entourage saves everything in a
database format and we are working with Apple to see how Spotlight can index
the database."

Microsoft has also made Entourage compatible with iSync, allowing users to
seamlessly sync Entourage to other devices. Erickson said that they have
done the work in Entourage to make it a client that will be recognized by
iSync. An update for Entourage will be available after Tiger is released.