[X4U] Tiger, Internet Explorer, and Wireless access in Airports

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Fri May 6 03:31:11 PDT 2005

I've read about Internet Explorer no longer being part of the installation
with Tiger. Although I've switched to Safari for most of my work, one
problem I've had is that when I'm in an Airport terminal and try to log on
to the pay-for-use wireless networks (T-Mobile Hotspot, Wise, Boingo), when
I launch Safari I get a "cannot find the server" message, whereas when I
launch Internet Explorer, my default browser homepage is replaced
automatically by the login page of the wireless vendor whose signal is
detected by my Airport Extreme card. So, I'm wondering whether I should do
something to make certain Internet Explorer is still usable once I do the
installation of 10.4.

I assume that if I do an archive/install that I won't wipe off the IE
application. Will it still work under 10.4?

Thanks so much.

Jim Robertson