[X4U] Malware for Mac...

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Tue May 10 11:32:29 PDT 2005

DZ-Jay said:

>And just to make sure that we're all in the same page: the article
>references Dashboard widgets, and Dashboard is a feature included in OS
>X 10.4 Tiger only.  There is no Dashboard for 10.3.x, so if you are
>concerned about the widgets mentioned in the article, you are safe.

Just as a point of interest, I visited the "zaptastic" Web site will
booted into OS 8.6 (my b&w G3 can do that), using Mozilla.  I have OS X
on a different drive than OS 8.6.  The zaptastic widget still
auto-downloaded, and even though it isn't set as my default download
disk, the widget was installed on the disk that had OS X on it!  Scary.

For folks looking for a quick, easy way to disable or uninstall widgets:

Widget Manager is a free Preference Pane for OSX 10.4 that allows you to
inspect, remove, and disable Dashboard Widgets. To remove a widget
without it, you would have to browse your Library/Widgets folder, delete
the .wdgt file, and either log out or force-quit the Dock.

http://www.downtownsoftwarehouse.com/WidgetManager/

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html