[X4U] Mail.app junk Filter

DZ-Jay dz at caribe.net
Wed May 11 02:25:47 PDT 2005

On May 10, 2005, at 10:10, B.ru c-e •K1u-tch-k0 wrote:

> I'm running Mail on Tiger and have the junk mail filter set to "learn"
> mode. Still, a lot of junk gets through. I've been moving the junk
> mail to a separate folder after marking it as junk, as the junk folder
> does not appear in learning mode. Does moving these messages from the
> mailboxes they originally came from defeat the learning process of the
> Mail junk filter?

By experimentation, like you, I discovered that Junk filters are
evaluated *at the very end* of all filters.  This means that if any
rule is matched for a particular message that has "Stop evaluating
rules", Junk filters will not be evaluated for that message.  Also, if
you create a Junk filter yourself (i.e. one containing the condition
"Message is junk mail"), the special Junk filter in the Junk Mail
preferences page is ignored.  This means that if you create your own
filter, you need to include in it any of the other conditions and
actions you set up in the Junk Mail preferences page.

You see, Mail.app seems to recognize the junk mail correctly, it just
doesn't change its color or mark it in any special way unless you set
it to do so in your new filter.

I think this is dumb, weird, and counter-intuitive, but that seems to
behow it works. :(

	dZ.

--
In human stupidity, when it is not malicious,
there is something very touching, even beautiful...

	-- Tolstoy