[X4U] Tiger... why...

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Wed May 11 14:41:07 PDT 2005

John McDaniel wrote:

> As the eye candy and wow factor wear off, I'm wondering...
>
> ---why no easy/flexible method to print folder contents from the finder?
>     (yeah, I know about drag/drop onto the printer)
>
> ---why no comprehensive location savvy integration of networking,
> VPN, Mail, etc?
>     (provided by Apple, I mean)
>
> ---why the glaring Finder oddities?
>
> ---why so few enhancements to Mail.app?
>     (well, it _looks_ different)
>
> ---why the brushed steel sometimes and not others?
>
> ---why do I have to scour the web to discover all of the secret key
> commands, underlying features, tweaks/enhancements, etc.

--- Why is there no way to turn off "features" that I find useless, and a
waste of resources such as "Dashboard" or "Expose".

--- Why is accessing Network shares so messed up.  Only Windows shares seem
to work well, with 10.4 "Classic Appletalk" shares are no longer supported,
and NFS support has always *sucked*.

--- Why does it remove my Pro copy of Quicktime and replace it with the
non-Pro version without asking me about it.  This one strikes me as
downright criminal!

--- Why didn't it upgrade the developer tools when I upgraded the OS?  I
still have to figure out how to do this.

--- Is "Spotlight" worth having?

> Feeling Underwhelmed.

I'm wondering why I bothered to upgrade :^(  Realistically the only thing
I've gained is that the Unix tools can now handle resource forks, it's more
64-bit, and better handling of fonts in my xterms (this is actually the
biggest gain for me).

The upgrade cost me $320 (300MB HD and the OS itself).  I'd have been better
off just buying more RAM.  Which brings up another point, it's even more of
a memory hog, but at least it's better about freeing up virtual memory.

		Zane