[X4U] Rip It Up - iTunes Import Settings Survey

Xavier Noria fxn at hashref.com
Thu May 12 23:52:58 PDT 2005

On May 13, 2005, at 8:36, Kirk McElhearn wrote:

> Right. And it's true that AAC files do sound better. This said, I
> find 128 a bit low; I use AAC 160, which I find to be a good
> compromise between sound and quality.

One day I sat down and compared different bit rates to the original
CD, I took some works from my favourite black musician Erykah Badu.
All of them sound pourish, shades are lost in different degrees, so
you get to take a decission having a 20GB iPod. The chosen compromise
was finally 224 AAC, and 320 AAC for a few exceptions that deserve
it. I would say as well that if I had an iPod with 20e3 GB then I'd
use some loseless codec.

I took into account some comparisons on the web as well, this one for
instance was really helpful:

     http://members.chello.nl/~m.heijligers/ipod/Compression/
compression.html

I can't enjoy 128 AAC at all, something that makes me spend less
money that I would in the iTMS.

-- fxn