[X4U] Rip It Up - iTunes Import Settings Survey

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Fri May 13 00:08:32 PDT 2005

On May 13, 2005, at 8:52 AM, Xavier Noria wrote:

> One day I sat down and compared different bit rates to the original
> CD, I took some works from my favourite black musician Erykah Badu.
> All of them sound pourish, shades are lost in different degrees, so
> you get to take a decission having a 20GB iPod. The chosen
> compromise was finally 224 AAC, and 320 AAC for a few exceptions
> that deserve it. I would say as well that if I had an iPod with
> 20e3 GB then I'd use some loseless codec.

Did you do a blind listening test? If not, this has no value. If you
know what you're listening to, then you'll hear things that may not
be there. Also, one musician is not enough.

I've done blind tests, and I've listened to music through excellent
speakers and headphones. I've done this with classical and jazz,
where recording quality is excellent, and where the music really
needs good quality. I've compared AIFF, lossless and AAC, and find
that AAC at 160 has a really good sound. I can tell the difference
between AIFF and AAC at 160, for some music, but that difference is
slight.

Kirk

           Author of: The Mac OS X Command Line: Unix Under the Hood
        Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France