[X4U] Widgets

Peter Saint James peterstj at earthlink.net
Sun May 15 15:33:38 PDT 2005

On 15 May2005, at 3:31 PM, Paul Moortgat wrote:

> What is this all about Widgets can harm you.  I don't have Tiger
> now, but in future I might have to turn off "Open safe files after
> downloading".
> How dangerous are these widget things?  One speaks about 'Zaptastic'

     It is not harm.  It's potential harm.  In other words, a
security hole.

     If you download a widget with Safari, it can open that widget
automatically.  The concern is that someone could come up with a
widget that does bad things to your system and create a way for you
to download it without your knowing it.  Zaptastic is a website that
explains how this works.  Actually it shows you how it works.

     The way to plug the security hole is to set a preference in
Safari to not open anything automatically that it downloads.  That's
my setting of choice anyway.

                                                         Peter