[X4U] DVD regions issue

Rod Duncan roduncan at telus.net
Mon May 16 11:00:06 PDT 2005

>On Tue, 10 May 2005, Brett Conlon wrote:
>
>>  Not having loaded a different region disc in my Mac for a while I can't
>>  remember the exact series of events that happen, but if you can get the
>>  disc mounted on the desktop (perhaps by ignoring the region change
>>  request) then you can use "Mac The Ripper" to save the disc to your hard
>>  drive. It will make it region free and remove a few other restrictions for
>>  you.
>
>You can avoid the annoying region switch message by going to the CD/DVD
>preference pane, and switching the action upon DVD insertion to VLC (or
>another app that won't bother you with region codes).
>
>Brett makes a good point about Mac The Ripper. That is actually the best
>way to do it - VLC is great, but the controls leave something to be
>desired compared to Apple's DVD software.  After using Mac The Ripper, you
>can then open the resulting VIDEO_TS folder in the Apple DVD player
>(without complaints about mismatched region codes!)

All excellent suggestions. Footnote to this. Once ripped out with Mac
The Ripper and if you want to create a playable DVD on a commercial
stand alone DVD player AND the ripped DVD is larger that 4.4 Gb....
just use DVD2oneX and it will downsize the program to fit on a
standard 4.4 Gb DVD without any noticeable loss in playback quality.
My preference is to then burn in Toast.

Rod
--
Rod Duncan

        "Buy a Mac and be thought a fool
or buy a WinDoh! box and remove all doubt."

   Still virus free...  and after ALL these years.