[X4U] Defrag utility for Tiger

Alex lists at lexial.ca
Mon May 16 12:24:08 PDT 2005

On May 16, 2005, at 14:37, Wayne Wilkin wrote:

> how do you explain the mac os inability to keep with the 15% rule.
> Which states that in order for directory to be successfully rebuilt
> that the directory should have at least 15% of  the hard drive space
> continous free space.

There is no such rule. There is no bundled utility in the Mac OS to
rebuild a directory. While contiguous space may be more efficient, HFS+
directories do not require to be written contiguously (see TN1150);
moreover, HFS+ directories are considerably smaller than 15% of the
average drive these days.

> How many times have I gotten an error in diskwarrior stating that a
> fail safe rebuilding of the directory is not guaranteed because the
> drive is to framented.

AFAICT, there is no such message in DW. I've checked the manual,
Dialogs.plist, and Localizable.strings and couldn't find anything of
this sort. In the DW manual, the string "fragment" appears only on pp.
38-41, in relation to directory fragmentation.

You may be confusing directory fragmentation with filesystem
fragmentation, which this thread is about, and which is a distinct
issue. For a better understanding of the latter I suggest

<http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/apme/fragmentation/>

<0x0192>