[X4U] Defrag utility for Tiger

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Mon May 16 13:14:38 PDT 2005

PoolMouse said:

><http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/apme/fragmentation/>
>
>	Conclusion
>
>	Defragmentation on HFS+ volumes should not be necessary at
>	all, or worthwhile, in most cases, because the system seems
>	to do a very good job of avoiding/countering fragmentation.

Quoting the beginning of that very same article:

>Note that I do not intend to make any claims regarding the
>fragmentation-resistance of HFS+. I have sampled too few a volume to
>generalize my "results". This discussion is more illustrative than
>empirical, wherein I am only suggesting a tool/method that you could use
>to gauge your own volumes' situation.

In other words, the author himself tells us at the outset that he isn't
qualified to make any informed generalizations as to fragmentation in
disks running OS X.

However, have a look at what Ted Landau has to say under "Make sure you
have enough free space on your startup volume" in this article:

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20050310003145313

Not that it makes any difference.  This is about the third time that this
topic has come up on this list.  The folks who don't believe that a disk
running under OS X requires defragmentation aren't going to change their
minds.

I think that we should all drop it, take "Poolmouse's" advice, and go out
and purchase two or three new hard drives, and then we will all be happy
and not have any problems.  8-{D

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html