[X4U] Defrag utility for Tiger

PoolMouse poolmouse_nyc at mac.com
Mon May 16 20:51:56 PDT 2005

At 12:23 PM -0700 5/16/05, Randy B. Singer wrote:

>The folks here are generally adults, and they by and large they
>aren't newbies.  They know that they should be backing up before
>doing anything.

hold that thought...

>I suspect that some folks here might like to know about some of
>those tools.  (As evidenced by things like their asking about them.)

users ask for solutions. you're presenting a sugar pill as a solution.

>You can throw lots of money at just about any problem.  I think that
>it would be a fine idea to have four or five huge hard drives, both
>for reduncancy, scratch space, and to back up to.   But not everyone
>has the
>funds for that.

a 100 gig drive costs $85 (you can find better deals on bigger
drives). moving to a larger drive is a long term SOLUTION.

>Not everyone has the luxury of being able to back up their entire
>drive, and wipe it clean and start over with the drive empty as you
>suggest. In fact, I suspect that few people do.

...so now you're saying that backing up is a luxury? and you're
recommending a defrag "utility"?

>So folks want to know what utilities they can use to optimize what
>they have, not what they could have if they had unlimited funds.

it doesn't take unlimited funds to put a real solution into place.
offering up a sugar pill wastes time and money and is not a solution.

don