[X4U] Tiger-unquittable/killable apps?

David Ledger dledger at ivdcs.demon.co.uk
Tue May 17 00:11:09 PDT 2005

>From: Alex <lists at lexial.ca>
>
>On May 14, 2005, at 08:45, Michael Elliott wrote:
>
>>  I can go to Terminal and issue "kill" commands to the respective
>>  processes all I want to, but they processes do not quit.
>
>Depends on what spawned them. Sudo kill -9 is what I use, but that
>doesn't always work either, especially with zombies.

Zombies never can be killed - they're already dead - that's why
they're known as zombies.
A zombie process uses no time, but they may hold other resources.
When a process dies it remains in the process table until their
parent process checks on them. Normally this is so soon after they
die that you never notice.  Zombies are still waiting for a check by
their parent.

David

--
David Ledger - Freelance Unix Sysadmin in the UK.
Chair of HPUX SysAdmin SIG of hpUG technical user group (www.hpug.org.uk)
david.ledger at ivdcs.co.uk
www.ivdcs.co.uk