[X4U] Re: Portrait mode in Tiger

Michael Elliott michaelelliott at mac.com
Thu May 19 05:44:11 PDT 2005

When I initially installed on my iBook G4 1.25 ghz, I had the option
to rotate the display.  I had Tiger installed on an external firewire
drive.  Once I rotated it, the screen worked perfecly in portrait
mode.  However, the option to rotate back to norma, landscape mode
was gone.  I couldn't find any pref, etc that would allow me to
change it back.

Rebooting from the internal drive w/ Panther 10.3.9 was normal.
Booting my iMac G4 20" from the FW drive didn't show the screen
rotation...or the option to rotate.

When I erased and re-installed Tiger on the external HD, the option
to rotate the display had gone.

So I *KNOW* that the video card in the iBook G4 1.25 Ghz is capable
of doing screen rotation.  Not that I'd want to leave it that way for
a long time :-)  But for displaying a single, higher-resolution page
of text (say, a .pdf) it would be sweet.

Michael