[X4U] Re: Ambitious DVD Project.

Andre Balogh invicta at xs4all.nl
Fri May 20 05:06:13 PDT 2005

On May 19, 2005, at 5:22 PM, x4u-
request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com wrote:
> On May 19, 2005, at 9:40 AM, Nick Scalise wrote:
>

>> My recommendation is not to go to DVD.
>>
>> My recommedation is to have them record to and to send a MiniDV tape.
>> So that consumers of their service can actually use what they
>> produce.
>>

> My assumption was that most places digitized to DV. What I would think
> the original poster would want is a direct copy of the originally
> digitized data. Any encoding/transcoding done after the initial
> digitization is going to decrease the quality of the video. Either
> splitting the DV across several "data" DVD's or copying directly to an
> external hard drive supplied by the customer would work.
>
> If you have the Telecine house encode the DV to mpeg2 to burn to a
> video DVD, you not only lose quality, you lose the ability to edit the
> video easily. I think that's basically what Nick (and i) am trying to
> say.
>
> Since the original poster wants to edit video and create DVD's using
> iLife 05, getting the video in DV would be the optimal solution. If
> they receive the video in any other format, it will have to be
> converted to DV before editing, then converted again for the DVD. Both
> steps will be lossy.
>
> -Mike

Nick and Mike as-well as all others who reacted and advised, thank
you very much.
I didn't know that I would open a snake-pit ! My knowledge of digital
subjects is extremely limited so I have to restudy the info sent to
me and than decide what to do.

One question though. If I would give my external firewire HD to the
transferring party they would have to have a Mac to record from,
isn't it ?

Many thanks again. Greetings, Andre.