[X4U] Install OS on external disk

Sylvester Roque nyles at cp-tel.net
Sat May 21 08:57:02 PDT 2005

On May 21, 2005, John Azevedo wrote:

> How can I install Tiger on an external Firewire drive. When I open
> open the install DVD it asks me to restart.

Go ahead and restart like the installer wants. When the machine
restarts follow the same procedure that you would to install to an
internal drive but choose the external drive.  Some users have
reported problems with recent OS updates and installing with firewire
drives connected but these seem to have occurred when installing onto
the internal drive.

If you already have a good working install on your drive you might
want to "clone" the installation to the external drive. I would use
the restore option in Disk Utility to do this/ Some other cloning
utilities have not been updated.

Whatever method you choose have Disk Utility check the external drive
first by running verify disk and clearing up any problems. After the
installation is complete don't forget to run verify permissions as
well. I know these steps take time but they are well worth it.