[X4U] Annoying mail UI "feature" (glitch)

Dennis R. Cohen drcohen at mac.com
Sat May 21 12:01:56 PDT 2005

On 5/21/05 at 7:53 AM, Kunga <Kunga at FutureMedia.org> transmitted the
following electronic message:

>Yes. Moreover, in Tiger, the mailbox list is only allowed on the left
>of the emails list instead of letting us choose our preference for it
>to be on the right AND, on my 1.25 GHz G4 PowerBook, when choosing a
>mailbox that has a huge number of unread emails (saving all for
>future searches - over 72,000 and 24,000) it takes a very long time
>for the re-indexing or whatever to finally display the updated list -
>way longer than it ever did in Panther. On by D2 G5 it's not a
>problem either because it's a G5 or because my number of unreads is a
>much smaller 8,200 and 2800. I really don't like that we can't
>display mailboxes on the right any more. It is counter intuitive for
>the mailbox list to be on the left for me. Am I missing something
>that will let me put the list on the right?

The transition from using a drawer for the mailbox list (a drawer that
can open from either side of the window) to a pane on the left side of
the window is a somewhat disconcerting change for you, and probably a
number of other users. However, it does more closely align the purpose
and presentation of the mailbox list with that of the analogous Source
list in iTunes and the Album list in iPhoto.

So far as the performance is concerned, I really can't comment on that
as I much prefer Mailsmith as my email client. Spotlight might start to
change that preference as it mitigates one of my reasons for preferring
Mailsmith, but until there is a way to completely turn off HTML support
until/unless I specifically ask for it and the Rules support becomes as
rich as Mailsmith's filtering support, I'll avoid Mail.

--
Dennis R. Cohen