[X4U] How to monitor inbound/outbound network traffic?

Brett Conlon brett_conlon at sonymusic.com.au
Sun May 22 18:45:24 PDT 2005

Rad,

If you go to the Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder you might be
able to see what processes are running hot when you're not doing anything.

Try cancelling processes until the network activity (light) drops off.
Pick on apps that use the network first. If you eventually cancel
something you shouldn't have a restart will get you back to square-1.

Coj

Gretchen Hayman <gretchen at sedl.org>

On May 20, 2005, at 09:16, Rad Craig wrote:

> Right now, I'm watching the light (xfer) on my network card and
> it's lit up almost solid, like I was downloading/uploading
> something, something (data) is going in or out.  I want to know
> what it is?  Which application is sending it and what its sending.
> I don't have anything running right now that should be constantly
> transferring data like this.  Its as if someone is sucking data off
> of my computer.  Is there a program/app/utility/script that will
> allow me to find out what is going on?

You can pop open the Network Utility (/Applications/Utilities/Network
Utility) and use the Netstat portion (or just use the netstat command
in Terminal).  That will tell you what computers you are currently
connected to and what ports they are connected to.  Once you find the
port, you can look it up (in /etc/services or at a ports database on-
line) and see what application/protocol is being used.

To really see some of the traffic, I'd use tcpdump.  However, it's
not terribly "user-friendly" if you are used to GUI-based apps.

Do you have your OS X firewall turned on, to prevent unwanted traffic?

--
gretchen